First, we had the fireplace, the floor joists, the sub flooring and the popcorn ceilings. We removed the fireplace, replaced the sub flooring, added joists and we will be sheet rocking the ceilings in the existing house to cover the popcorn ceiling because it could not be removed by sanding.
While the pipes were winterized, we ran into some serious leak issues when the temperatures thawed. Twenty-two leaks to be exact. We decided to replace all of the plumbing rather than repair the existing plumbing so going forward, we should be in good shape.
The latest challenge is too technical to get into too much detail here, but it involves the pitch of the roof. We hired an architect to draw up the plans for our addition and renovation for many reasons; one of the foremost reasons was the importance to us of not having a roof line that jutted above the existing structure that would be visible from the street. We had a near-miss with the construction of the roof over the last week but were able to work it out so that the pitch is as it should be.
Here are some of the latest pictures:
|Part of the roof pitch problem-solving - we had to decide between 45" or 24" overhangs. The 45" would have required additional support, so we're going with 24".|
|View of the kitchen from the living room.|
|Pantry - located within the kitchen on the end of the right side of the horseshoe layout|
|Hallway from the existing house to the master suite and laundry room - to the right of the new kitchen|
|Linen closet in the new hallway to the master/laundry|
|Closet in the master bedroom|
|New master bath and toilet closet. It will have a separate whirpool tub, shower and water closet.|
|Master bedroom. The hardest to capture because I had limited camera sight lines.|